Digital Content and Social Media Editor at KHQA-TV in Quincy, IL. (Jan. 2012–present)
• Supervise a staff of reporters with varying skill levels and experience at a CBS affiliate.
• Organize, plan, edit and develop content for various media including newscasts, print, social media and mobile.
• Manage @KHQA’s Twitter account, Facebook page, content management system, mobile application, SEO and Google Analytics.
• Quadrupled online viewership in a two-year period.
• Help less experienced reporters develop skills including interviewing, open records and database reporting.
• Enterprise reporting, bringing more depth to newscasts and online content .
Freelance writer for St. Louis-region AOL Patch Web sites (July 2011–Jan. 2012)
Freelance writer for the Riverfront Times (July 2011–Jan. 2012)
Legal issues reporter for the Pensacola News Journal of Pensacola, FL. (June 2007–July 2011)
• Sole reporter covering legal matters in the federal district court in Northern Florida, along with the state judicial system.
• Award-winning work included investigations into Florida’s mortgage system collapse, the BP oil spill, the Affordable Care Act
legislation lawsuit, high-profile murders and time-consuming data projects.
• Became a newsroom leader in the use of social media and smartphone technology to improve readership.
• Covered a beat that required specialized ability to interpret often complex legal documents.
Higher education and congressional political reporter for the Times Leader of Wilkes-Barre, PA. (Dec. 2004–May 2007)
• First year spent as a night police reporter in a highly competitive news town that included three daily newspapers and several
• Covered social issues such as the emergence of heroin and its impact on local hospitals along with a growing skinhead gang
crime in the Northeast Pennsylvania region.
• Became the lead reporter on a congressional scandal involving a philandering congressman.
County and city government reporter at The Register-Mail of Galesburg, IL. (Feb. 2004–Dec. 2004)
• Served as one of several reporters who covered the shuttering of one of the main job providers in Galesburg.
• Was often recognized as one of the sharpest writers, with an eye for detail.
• Covered often contentious issues related to county and municipal government.
Police and feature writing intern for the Peoria Journal Star of Peoria, IL. (March 2003–Jan. 2004)
Police and feature writing intern at the State Journal-Register of Springfield, IL. (May 2002–Aug. 2002 and Dec. 2002–Jan. 2003)
• Iowa Broadcast News Association: honorable mention for overall excellence (2014)
• Illinois Broadcast News Association: second place for best newscast (2012)
• Florida Society of Newspaper Editors: third place for business reporting (2009)
• Mothers Against Drunk Driving: award for excellence for DUI series (2008)
• Keystone Press Association: second place award for news feature writing (2007)
• Keystone Press Association: honorable mention for ongoing coverage (2007)
• Associated Press Managing Editors: second place award for team coverage in public service reporting (2007)
• Keystone Press Association: first place award for spot news coverage (2006)
• Associated Press Managing Editors: second place award for team coverage in general news reporting (2006)
• Illinois Collegiate Press Association: honorable mention for in-depth reporting (2002–2003)
Bachelor’s degree in journalism with a minor in broadcasting from Western Illinois University, Macomb, Ill. (2003)
• Nora Baldner, news director, KHQA, Quincy, IL. (217) 222-6200
• Joe Butkiewicz, managing editor, Times Leader, Wilkes-Barre, PA. (570) 829-7242
• Ryan Heinz, senior information specialist, University of Missouri-St. Louis (314) 604-0975
• Chris Ward, marketing coordinator, KDHX, St. Louis, MO. (217) 322-7653
• Kiernan Maletsky, former music editor, Riverfront Times, St. Louis, MO. (719) 440-8370
• Gary Ghioto, metro editor, Pensacola News Journal, Pensacola, FL (850) 435-8633
• Michelle Jones, former editor Pensacola News Journal, Pensacola, FL (251) 259-1315